Monday 8 August 2011

Sunday Re-run

Posted by Neil

Trying to keep up with Dylan, I planned a decent ride this past weekend.  Following in the wheel tracks of our practice group ride I headed into the head wind that is prevalent in my part of North Wales and pointed the Bianchi in the direction of the Ponderosa.  As I headed up through Gwynymynydd and onto the later climbs after Llanarmon-yn-lal towards Llandegla and then the final one up to the Ponderosa cafe I felt really good.  I noticed the headwind, but the legs were very willing to push me up the hills.

After enjoying the descent of the Horseshoe pass, there was mild disappointment that there were no steam engines in sight at Llangollen.  The more rolling roads from there towards Rhos and then over the A483 were no problem, then there was the long straight road out to Bangor on Dee. Here the wind was more behind / side.  Stopped for lunch in Malpas for 15 mins or so then continued with the intention of going past Beeston, but I must've missed a turn somewhere and ended up at Tattenhall.  No problems, just went towards Clutton, Coddington and then on to Farndon / Holt to get more or less back on track.  However, after Tattenhall it was pretty much into the headwind again with only the occasional respite of a side wind as and when the road took at turn in the correct direction.

After Holt it was Rossett, a glimpse of the Red Arrow's display finale over Chester then to Dodleston, along to Kinnerton and up the sting in the tail - the climb to Penymynydd.  This last section was very hard work - with a head wind and a few brief showers, I definitely felt tired and really running on autopilot.

When I got home I ate 2 portions of blackberry and apple crumble & ice cream and drank 2 large mugs of tea before I felt reasonably ready to move on with my day.  Although I have been drinking every 10 minutes or so and snacking reasonably often, I think I need to do more to keep my energy and hydration levels up - drinking more at each intake and snacking more frequently.

As for the numbers - 72.8 miles, 5hrs 29mins elapsed riding time and 5hrs 51mins elapsed time.  So not bad at an average of 13.3 mph.  Still hoping very much for no head winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment