Friday 17 June 2011

Training Rides Update

Posted by Neil

A few reasonable rides to report and it's a mixed bag.

A couple of rides in and around the Ribble Valley and the Forest of Bowland areas. Being based in Clitheroe for the bank holiday week at the end of May that gave the opportunity to ride through some different and rather attractive scenery.
First up was a 38 mile loop around the forest of Bowland and there are three main features to this ride. First up is the  climb up Waddington Moor which accounts for a large chunk of the 760m of climbing on this ride. It's appeared a few times on the Tour of Britain as a Cat 1 climb. Usually it's possible to get a good 45mph on the relief of the descent on the other side but due to the second feature of the ride it was necessary to be on the brakes to keep the bike stable in the strong cross-wind. It's amazing how windy it's been recently back in North Wales and Lancashire was no different - so thats a mixed bag - great when it pushes you along and, they say, great for building strength and stamina when it's in yer face.  Finally, the roads. Good grief they're bad in this area, so much so there are some places where it's downright dangerous for cyclists. fortunately my Conti Gatorskin tyres and the strength of the Xero wheels meant no punctures or  worse.

Second ride was just as windy but a less hilly 43 miles along the valley to Settle and back. Not much to report on this one, other than they do good tea and scones at The Naked Man cafe in the main square!

Last but not least was last Sunday. I headed out from home around 8.45 am knowing that rain was expected around mid-day but with the hope that I'd get most of the planned 71 miles done by then. the route had a couple of options to cut across the loop and shorten the time required. Within 10 minutes the rain started. And never stopped. In fact, it became torrential, and then the wind joined in the party.  I was taking a similar route to the training ride we're planning on 27 June but with a slightly longer, slightly hillier approach to the Horseshoe Pass. The puddles became deeper, they started spreading wide across the road and the wind became stronger - it was becoming harder to ride.
Fortunately I'd packed my new Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier convertible jacket (the sleeves and shoulder tops unzip to form a gilet) and that did an excellent job of keeping most of me dry. I didn't however pack my overshoes and that soon started to give me problems with my feet getting colder and wetter by the mile.
The climb from Llandegla up to the Ponderosa Cafe at the top of the Horseshoe Pass was the final straw - the gusts of side wind became somewhat dangerous and I decided that the descent and the following section over World's End would be both excessively cold and potentially dangerous.  So it was into the Ponderosa for a lovely hot cuppa where there were virtually no motor bikers and certainly no other cyclists. there were some comments questioning my sanity!
The return ride was somewhat easier, being predominantly downhill but the increased speed meant the wind chill became a factor and my fingers were suffering somewhat.
Lisa and kids looked after me well on arrival home and a cup of tea and a warm bath were soon ready, whilst I wrung out my socks. After 2 hours of torrential rain the PI jacket had kept my top half completely dry - excellent. Only managed 30 miles so somewhat less than planned. Felt like I'd done 50 though!
Let's hope for better weather on 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment